Rice can grow a little boring, but this soul-food style side dish adds dried pineapple to make a great variation on a standard side dish.
Bring 2 and 1/2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan; add 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice (such as basmati), 1/2 cup chopped dried pineapple, 2 teaspoons vegan butter (such as Earth Balance), 1/2 tsp. grated lime rind, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
For the dried pineapple, I bought an un-sugared variety, which I figured would be much healthier, even though the sugared dried pineapple was organic and most likely vegan.
Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, 1 tablespoon chopped green onion and 2 and 1/2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice.
You'll have 6 side servings of 1/2 cup and 180 calories.
long-grain rice $1.67
dried pineapple $6.62
green onion $1.25
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html