Instead of the classic tabbouleh trio - olive oil, tomato, cucumber - this one uses walnut oil, walnuts and dried cranberries.
Combine 1 cup bulgar wheat and 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries in a bowl. Pour 1 cup boiling water over the mixture, and let stand until the liquid is absorbed - the original recipe said 30 minutes, but mine took only 17.
Fluff with a fork, then add: 1/2 cup chopped parsley, 1/4 cup chopped red onion, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts (toast them first, if you like), 2 tablespoons chopped mint, 1 and 1/2 tablespoons walnut oil, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper.
Toss to combine; 2/3 a cup is 170 calories. This is easy to take in tupperware for lunch the next day, too!
bulgar wheat $4.19
dried cranberries $6.49
walnut oil $8.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html