This is a fun variation on an open-faced sandwich. Serve alongside a hot bowl of soup either at lunch or dinner.
Core one apple and cut into 16 wedges (Gala, Braeburn, and Fuji apples all work great with the flavor combination in this recipe). Place the wedges in a bowl and toss with 3 tablespoons raw sugar and 1/8 tsp. cinnamon until coated. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat, and coat with cooking spray. Add the apples and cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside and let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, cut 2 (1-ounce slices) of pumpernickel bread into 4 strips each. Place the strips in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Turn over and bake an additional 3 minutes on the other side. Let cool completely.
(Note: I bought the pumpernickel bread from Mestemacher, which makes amazing all-natural breads. If you use it though, realize that one slice is 2 ounces, unlike most pre-packaged bread which is one ounce per slice).
Finally, cut 2 ounces of vegan cheddar into 8 slices (try the Cheddar block from Galaxy Foods).
On each of 4 plates, arrange 2 strips of bread with 4 apple wedges and 2 slices of 'cheddar' on top, for 150 calories per serving.
Gala apple $0.84
vegan cheddar $2.50
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html