This dish comes together quickly. Double a portion for a vegan entree, and let any meat-eaters at the holiday table have it as a side.
Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1/4 tsp. dried rosemary (crush it between your fingers first for smaller pieces), and 2 small minced garlic cloves. Saute 3 minutes. Add 4 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps, and saute 6 minutes.
Stir in 6 tablespoons of uncooked barley (buy the quick-cooking kind; if you buy regular pearl barley it will be too tough because of the short cooking time), along with 5 ounces of vegetable broth and 3 tablespoons water. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes.
Grate a tablespoon and a half of vegan cheese to replace Parmesan - I like the vegan mozzarella block from Galaxy Foods, here. Stir in the 'cheese' along with 4 cups torn fresh spinach and 1/8 tsp. black pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes, until the spinach wilts, stirring frequently.
One cup of the mixture is 180 calories, but as I mentioned, double the portion for a main dish. You can also easily double this entire recipe to feed a large crowd.
Merry Christmas to all.
shiitake mushrooms $6.59
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html