Here's a good winter side dish that serves two and is about as easy as they come.
Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons chopped shallot and saute 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 3 cups sliced Swiss chard (a tough leafy green that wilts like spinach when cooked). Cover and cook 2 minutes, until wilted.
Remove from heat and stir in 1/8 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. black pepper. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of slivered or sliced almonds - toast the nuts first, if you like.
This recipe will make 2, 1/2 cup servings of 50 calories.
Swiss chard $1.47
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html