This side dish is a variation on 'green beans almondine' - green beans with almonds.
Trim the ends off 2 and 1/2 cups sugar snap peas (about 8 ounces worth). Bring a cup of water to a boil; add the peas and cook for two minutes. Drain, conserving a teaspoon of cooking liquid.
Combine the beans, the reserved cooking liquid, 1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind and a teaspoon and a half melted vegan butter (such as Earth Balance), tossing to coat. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sliced almonds (toast for a couple of minutes first in a skillet over medium-high heat), 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. black pepper.
1/2 a cup is 80 calories.
sugar snap peas $2.25
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html