This soup has several servings of fresh veggies per bowlful! Thanks to the parsnip, it's also high in potassium and dietary fiber.
Heat 1/2 a teaspoon olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add one and a quarter cups coarsely chopped yellow onion and cook for ten minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
Add one and a half cups coarsely chopped parsnip, one and a half cups water, one and a quarter cups coarsely chopped carrot, and one (14-ounce) can of vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 50 minutes.
While the soup simmers, make the parsnip chips. Heat an additional 2 and 1/2 tsps. olive oil in a small saucepan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add an additional 1/4 cup of parsnip (cut into 1/8-inch thick slices). Cook for 5 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.
When the soup is done simmering, let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to the pan and stir in 1/8 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. black pepper.
Ladle 1 and 1/3 cups soup into each of three bowls. Top each serving with about 2 teaspoons worth of the parsnip chips and with 1/2 a teaspoon of chopped fresh chives. Each bowl is 160 calories.
vegetable broth $1.49
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html