This is a delicious and easy side dish for winter weather.
Peel about one pound carrot and chop into 1/4-inch thick slices to equal 3 and 1/4 cups. Steam, covered, for 15 minutes until tender. I don't own a steamer basket or anything fancy so I do it the way my mom taught me as a kid; place the carrots in a saucepan with a little bit of water, bring to a quick boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer.
Melt a tablespoon of vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) in a medium skillet over medium heat, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a tablespoon maple sugar, a teaspoon balsamic vinegar, 1/8 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. black pepper, stirring until combined. Add the carrots and cook one minute.
Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of chopped parsley. You'll have 4 servings of 2/3 a cup, each of which is 90 calories.
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html