Here's a delicious alternative to regular potato latkes. This makes one giant latke to slice into wedges.
In a large bowl, combine 1 pound peeled and shredded baking potato (about one large), 4 oz. peeled and shredded sweet potato (about one small), 4 oz shredded zucchini (one small), 1 carrot, peeled and shredded, and one small onion, peeled and shredded. Add 1/2 a cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper and the equivalent of two eggs using egg replacer (such as Ener-G).
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Press the vegetable mixture into the bottom of the pan evenly, and cook for 10 minutes.
Invert the latke onto a large plate, and add an additional tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Return the latke to the pan, un-cooked side down. Place in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Make sure to use an ovenproof skillet, and wrap the handle in aluminum foil! A non-stick skillet is also best, or the latke will crust to the bottom.
Slice into 8 wedges of 150 calories each.
The whole latke!
baking potato $0.82
sweet potato $0.49
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html