These make a great nosh to pass around with drinks before dinner. Make them right before serving, as they're best hot out of the oven!
The original recipe called for grated fresh parmesan, but the vegan mozzarella block from Galaxy Foods works well here. In a shallow bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the 'cheese' with 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs, 1/4 tsp. regular or seasoned salt, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder and 1/8 tsp. black pepper.
Place 2 tablespoons of plain soy milk (such as Silk) in a small bowl.
Slice 1/4-inch thick slices of zucchini to equal 2 1/2 cups. Working with one slice at a time, dip into the soy milk, then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture. Place the slices on an ovenproof wire cooling rack (coated with cooking spray), placed over a baking sheet. This ensures that the zucchini chips receive heat from all sides while baking, and get extra crisp. Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes until your zucchini slices are crisp and golden. 3/4 cups worth of 'chips' is 70 calories, and you'll have about 4 servings total. Bon appetit!
soy milk $1.49
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html