I love soup. I love summer. Alas, they don't always go hand-in-hand. But try this chilled summer soup recipe and you can enjoy a bowlful for lunch on even the most humid day. Try this with hearty whole grain bread on the side, or a grilled soy cheese sandwich.
Get ready for a long list of ingredients. In a large bowl, combine: 4 cups chilled vegetable juice (I like the low-sodium kind from R.W. Knudsen: www.knudsenjuices.com/), 2 cups chopped tomato, 1 1/2 cups chopped sweet onion, 1 1/2 cups chopped peeled and seeded cucumber, one cup chopped bell pepper (use whatever color you prefer - I chose green), 1/4 cup chopped parsley, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, one teaspoon dried basil, one teaspoon agave nectar (in place of honey, for which the original recipe called), 1/2 tsp. dried tarragon, 1/4 tsp. cumin, 1/4 tsp dried oregano, and 2 minced garlic cloves.
Ladle 4 cups of the mixture into a blender; process until smooth. Return back to the bowl, and stir to combine. Cover and chill. You'll have about 8, one-cup servings of 70 calories.
vegetable juice $2.79
sweet onion $1.24
bell pepper $1.00
tarragon vinegar $6.34
dried basil $3.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html