Yum - a simple side dish highlighting summer's tomatoes.
In a food processor, combine one garlic clove and 3-oz of torn French bread. Pulse until the mixture equals about 1 3/4 cups crumbs. Drizzle with two teaspoons melted vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) and pulse until moist.
Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/3 cup chopped shallot and cook 3 minutes. Add a pint of grape tomatoes and a pint of yellow pear tomatoes (check your local farmer's market for this latter variety especially!), along with 1/4 tsp. salt and a dash of black pepper. Cook another minute and a half until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat and stir in 3 tablespoons chopped parsley.
If your skillet is ovenproof, leave the mixture right there. If not, transfer to an 11x7 baking dish. Either way, sprinkle evenly with the breadcrumb mixture, and lightly coat the top with cooking spray. Bake at 425 degrees for 7 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
You'll have 6 side servings of 2/3 cup and 90 calories each.
French bread $1.29
grape tomatoes $2.99
yellow pear tomatoes $3.49
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html