Quick-cooking polenta is great for busy weeknight meals! This one comes together in minutes.
In a large saucepan, combine 2 cups plain soy milk (such as Silk), 2 cups vegetable broth, and 1/8 tsp. black pepper. Bring to a simmer, then slowly whisk in 3/4 cup dry polenta. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer until thick.
Note: I only had 1 and 1/4 cups of vegetable broth at home, so I thinned it the rest of the way with water, which worked fine. Also, although polenta normally takes about 5 minutes to thicken, for some reason mine needed about twice that tonight! Perhaps I had the burner simmering on lower than I thought...
While the polenta cooks, melt 1 tablespoon vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 cups sliced mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, 2 and 1/2 cups (2-inch) pieces of asparagus, and 1 cup chopped vegan deli ham (such as Light Life - about 8 slices). Saute for 4 minutes.
Spoon 1 cup of polenta onto each of 4 plates. Top each serving with 1 cup of the asparagus mixture, and sprinkle each serving with about 1 teaspoon grated vegan Parmesan topping (such as Galaxy Foods).
Each serving is 340 calories.
sliced mushrooms $2.49
vegan deli ham $2.00
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html