Grilling asparagus can be tricky, since it is time consuming to turn every individual spear. Threading together these 'rafts' makes the job a lot easier!
You'll need 16 asparagus spears for this recipe, and thicker spears will work better than thin ones. Thread 2 toothpicks through 4 of the spears, with one toothpick about an inch from the top of the spears, and 1 toothpick about an inch from the bottom. Repeat with the remaining asparagus and more toothpicks, until you have 4 'rafts'.
In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce (preferably low-sodium), 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil, and 1 minced garlic clove. Brush the mixture evenly over the asparagus.
Heat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan over high heat. Grill the asparagus rafts for 3 minutes on each side, then remove from heat and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sesame seeds (which you can toast first, if you like), 1/4 tsp. black pepper, and just a dash of salt.
1 'raft' is 50 calories. It's the perfect summer side dish to a grilled veggie burger!
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html