There's almost nothing more quintessentially "summer" than shucking ears of fresh corn - that was always my and my sister's job when my mom brought ears of corn home from the farmer's market. Use the freshest corn you can find for this quick side dish. Instead of the crema Mexicana called for in the original recipe, use vegan sour cream (such as Tofutti).
In a bowl, combine 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder, 1/4 tsp. salt, and just a pinch of black pepper.
Coat an outdoor grill rack or indoor grill pan with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Grill 3 ears of corn for 12 minutes, turning frequently - the corn should be lightly browned on all sides by the end.
Place the corn on a plate and drizzle with 2 tablespoons vegan sour cream - since crema Mexicana is a bit more liquid than the vegan sour cream, I let it come to room temperature ahead of time. Sprinkle the corn evenly with the chipotle mixture.
Serve 1 ear of corn with 1 lime wedge for a side serving of 160 calories - you can double this recipe in a pinch to feed a larger crowd!
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html