Use the Tuscan 'chicken' breasts from Gardein for this yummy taco recipe! Chop 3 of the breasts into bite-sized pieces, and either discard the sauce that they come with, or save for another use. Sprinkle the 'chicken' with 1/2 tsp. nutmeg and 1/2 tsp. black pepper; although the original recipe also called for 1/2 tsp. salt, I omitted it since there is already quite a bit of sodium in Gardein.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the 'chicken' and saute for 7 minutes; remove from the pan and set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium and melt 1 tablespoon vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) in the same skillet; add 2 cups thinly sliced onion and cook for 4 minutes. Add 2 cups thinly sliced, peeled Granny Smith apple and cook for 6 minutes. Add 2 minced garlic cloves; cook for 30 seconds.
Return the 'chicken' to the pan, and cook for a final 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas according to package directions (I like the whole wheat tortillas from Whole Foods' 365 brand). Spoon about 1/2 cup of the 'chicken' mixture into each tortilla - 2 stuffed tacos make a serving of 460 calories.
Gardein chicken $7.98
Granny Smith apple $2.04
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html