I know sweet potatoes aren't normally a food that comes to mind in August, but this dish is served chilled or at room temperature, making it a yummy way to sneak some sweet potatoes into your summer.
Heat 1/2 tsp. vegetable or canola oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 6 tablespoons of sliced green onions (about 1 and 1/2-inch long pieces), 1 tablespoon raw sugar, 1/2 tsp. chile paste with garlic, 3 thinly sliced garlic cloves, 3 (1/4-inch thick) slices of fresh ginger, 1 cinnamon stick, and 1 small star anise (crush it with a knife, first).
Saute for 15 seconds, then add 2 cups water, 3 tablespoons soy sauce (preferably low-sodium), and 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of either sake or sherry. Since it can be hard to find unfiltered sake, and since I already had some sherry at home, I used the latter.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then add 1 pound of peeled, (2-inch) cubed sweet potatoes. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon minced green onions.
As mentioned, serve these potatoes at room temperature or chilled. If you like, you can save the cooking liquid to flavor rice or tofu!
3/4 cup potatoes is 140 calories.
green onions $0.99
sweet potatoes $0.92
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html