Try this new twist on basic mashed potatoes!
Peel and cube four cups worth of baking potato (about 1 and 3/4 pounds, or two large potatoes). Place in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil, then cook at a boil for ten minutes until tender. Drain.
Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl, and add 3/4 cup plain soy yogurt (such as Whole Soy), 3/4 tsp. wasabi powder (available in the Asian section of supermarkets), and 1/4 tsp. salt. Beat with a mixer until smooth.
2/3 a cup of mashed potato is about 120 calories - you'll have about six servings; these potatoes are best served immediately. Try them alongside marinated tempeh, for a vegan take on steak-and-potatoes.
baking potato $1.35
plain soy yogurt $0.99
wasabi powder $5.19
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html