Cranberries are incredibly good for you, with more antioxidants than almost any other fruit, a high dosage of Vitamin C, and properties that fight bladder infections. So please don't only save them for the Thanksgiving table! Fresh ones are just now in season. Try this compote which is an update on traditional cranberry sauce - use it as a spread on toast for breakfast or with hearty crackers as an appetizer, or as a side dish to round out a fall-themed meal.
In a medium saucepan, combine 3 cups of chopped and peeled Fuji apple (about 2), 2 1/4 cups chopped and peeled Bartlett pear (about 2), 3/4 cup apple cider, 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, 2 packed tablespoons of organic brown sugar, 3/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1/8 tsp. nutmeg and 1/8 tsp. salt.
Bring to a boil over medium heat, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the fruit is tender. Stir in 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
1/3 a cup of the compote is 50 calories - you'll have about 12 servings.
Fuji apples $2.90
Bartlett pears $2.27
apple cider $4.69
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html