Continuing my exploration of side dishes with both international flair and (nearly) all-vegan ingredients, try this Middle-Eastern inspired dish.
In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, two tablespoons chopped and pitted kalamata olives, 2 tablespoons chopped pickled pepperoncini peppers (also known as banana peppers; look for these in the Mexican section of grocery stores next to the other canned peppers and chilis), 2 tablespoons crumbled vegan feta (such as Sunergia), a teaspoon chopped fresh chives, 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary, and one 15-ounce can of chickpeas (rinsed and drained).
Combine a tablespoon and a half of lemon juice, a teaspoon and a half of olive oil and one minced garlic clove, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle over the chickpea mixture and toss to combine. Chill for at least one hour before serving. This recipe makes 3 sides servings (1/2 a cup and 170 calories each). The recipe can easily double! You could also toss it with pasta for an entree pasta salad or serve it over lettuce for a dinner salad.
flat-leaf parsley $2.29
pickled banana peppers $3.00
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html