Olive oil and 'cream' make these potatoes the ultimate comfort food.
Peel 2 pounds of baking potato (about 3). Cut each potato lengthwise into quarters, and then slice crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices - these smaller pieces help cut down on cooking time for busy nights!
Place in a saucepan and cover with warm water (another time saver over adding cold water); bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for five minutes.
Drain the potatoes and let stand 5 minutes before returning to the pan. Add 1/3 a cup warm 'cream' (try the plain-flavored creamer from Silk - heat it in a saucepan over low heat for a few minutes to warm it up), along with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper.
Mash with a potato masher to desired consistency, or, for even smoother potatoes, use a ricer (which, alas, I do not have). This recipe yields 5 side servings - 3/4 cup and 230 calories.
baking potato $2.05
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html