Green leafy vegetables are highly nutritious, and easy to prepare into any number of side dishes. In this one, I use kale, which is high in antioxidants, beta carotene, Vitamin K, Vitamin C, and potent anti-cancer properties similar to those in broccoli.
Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 2 cups thinly sliced red bell pepper and one tablespoon chopped, seeded jalapeno pepper, along with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. black pepper; saute 3 minutes.
Add 14 cups of kale, chopped and stems discarded (don't worry - all of that kale is going to reduce way down!) and 1/2 a cup vegetable broth; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for ten minutes, stirring once.
Remove the lid, add one minced garlic clove, and cook an additional two minutes, uncovered, or until the liquid evaporates (this step actually took more more like 5 minutes).
A one cup serving (of which you'll have 4) is about 160 calories. Serve with lemon wedges if desired.
red bell pepper $2.17
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html