This recipe was originally billed as a side dish, but double the portions and it serves as a good vegan entree around which to build a full menu.
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 cups of thinly, vertically sliced red onion and saute for 7 minutes until golden brown.
Place one cup of uncooked couscous in a medium-sized bowl, along with 1 teaspoon of garlic pepper (a blend available in the spice section). Top with the onions. Instead of the 1/4 cup of crumbled goat cheese called for in the original recipe, crumble the vegan feta from Sunergia to equal that amount. Sprinkle that over the couscous mixture, too.
Bring one cup of vegetable broth to a boil on the stovetop (or, if you want to make this recipe even quicker, heat it in a microwave for 2 1/2 minutes until hot). Pour slowly over the couscous mixture, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
3/4 cups of the couscous is 140 calories - you'll have about 5 servings that small, but again, double it for a heartier portion.
red onion $1.51
garlic pepper $1.67
'goat cheese' $3.69
vegetable broth $2.69
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html