Here's another way to get protein from beans without resorting to boring flavors, this time with a hint of Tuscany thrown in.
In a large bowl, simply combine: 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1/4 cup chopped carrot, 1/4 cup chopped celery, 3 tablespoons chopped parsley, a teaspoon and a half grated lemon rind, 3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 tsp. salt, a dash of crushed red pepper, 2 minced garlic cloves and about 2 1/4 cups canned cannellini beans (rinsed and drained - this is about one and a half cans, if you buy the 15-oz size). Toss together.
Each serving of 2/3 cup is 120 calories. You can make this ahead of time if you like and cover and chill, but bring to room temperature at least 30 minutes before you serve it since the flavors meld together best that way.
cannellini beans $3.00
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html