As I mentioned yesterday, here's a second option for serving with pita wedges. You could also serve it alongside the vegan curry recipe of your choice, as a cooling element to the fiery spices. This is a chunky version of the normally smooth Indian condiment, raita. If you don't want to fire up the grill just for this purpose, make it on a grill pan over the stove.
Prepare grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Peel an onion and slice into 1/2-inch thick slices. Brush a teaspoon and a half of olive oil over the onion, and grill for 4 minutes on each side until browned. Cool completely before chopping.
Place the onion in a bowl along with 3/4 cup finely chopped cucumber, 3/4 cup plain soy yogurt (such as Whole Soy), 3/4 tsp. cumin seeds, a tablespoon of chopped cilantro, and 1/4 tsp. each of salt and pepper. It will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to two days. 1/4 cup of raita is 30 calories.
plain soy yogurt $0.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html