It's the end of the season for fresh asparagus, so here's a final way to use it in the waning days of summer.
In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon grated orange rind, 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice, 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot and a teaspoon raw sugar. Stir well with a whisk. Add 1/2 tsp. salt and a dash of black pepper; set aside.
Trim the ends off 3 lbs. asparagus, and place in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Drizzle with two tablespoons oil, and sprinkle with another 1/4 tsp. salt and dash of black pepper, tossing well to coat.
Bake in the oven at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, stirring half way through. Remove the pan briefly from the oven to drizzle the asparagus with the orange juice mixture; return to the oven and cook another 5 minutes. A side serving of about 4 ounces is 50 calories.
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html