Here's a final crowd pleasing side dish for your Labor Day weekend - and they might not even know it's vegan. You can use either fresh or frozen corn kernels.
In a large bowl, combine 3 cups corn kernels. 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or a teaspoon of dried, if you prefer), 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Set aside.
In a second bowl, make the equivalent of 5 eggs using egg replacer of your choice (such as Ener-G). The original recipe, actually called for 1/2 cup of egg substitute plus one real egg, for the sake of keeping things healthy, but if you do the math using entirely egg substitute, that's about 5 "eggs".
To the "eggs", add a cup and a half plain soy milk (such as Silk) and 2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese - my favorite is the Better Than Cream Cheese from Tofutti, stirring well with a whisk. Pour the soy milk mixture over the corn mixture, stirring to combine.
Pour it all into an 11x7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes, until the top of the pudding is golden brown. Slice into 8 wedges, each of which is a side serving of about 120 calories.
soy milk $1.00
'cream cheese' $3.69
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html