Okay, maybe this vegan version can't really be called 'classic' since tzatziki is a traditional Greek yogurt dish, but you can still make it in a pinch with soy yogurt!
Peel, seed and grate one cup of cucumber (about one large). Spread onto several layers of paper towels, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and let stand for 30 minutes.
Combine the cucumber in a small bowl with one cup plain soy yogurt, a tablespoon of chopped fresh mint, 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 2 minced garlic cloves.
(I like the unsweetened plain soy yogurt from Wildwood for this recipe, since it is completely unsweetened and thicker than most varieties, which is more reminscient of Greek yogurt: www.wildwoodfoods.com).
Let chill in the fridge at least one hour before serving. Use this as a spread for sandwiches, or as a dip for pita wedges or crudites. Two tablespoons is 10 calories.
plain soy yogurt $2,99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html