Make this simple side dish any night of the week.
Cook two cups of chopped broccoli florets in boiling water for four minutes. Drain, then rinse with cold water (which, whoops, I forgot to do), and drain again. Set aside.
Heat a teaspoon and a half of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add a generous 3/4 cup of one-inch green bell pepper strips and a generous 3/4 cup of one-inch red bell pepper strips to the skillet, along with 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
Uncover and add a 1/2 tsp. raw sugar; cook (uncovered) an additional two minutes (the liquid should all be evaporated and the peppers beginning to brown). Add the broccoli and cook a final two minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 tsp. salt and a dash of black pepper. One cup is 70 calories.
red bell pepper $1.05
green bell pepper $0.66
red wine vinegar $5.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html