Homemade fries will always be better for you than anything you order in a restaurant - and you don't need to worry what kind of fat they're cooked in! Whip up these easy fries next time you have veggie burger night.
Peel 1 and 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, and cut into thin strips.
Combine the potato strips in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. black pepper, and 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper; toss to coat.
Spread the potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake at 450 degrees for 35 minutes - they should be nice and golden by the end. A note of caution - don't stir the fries while they are baking! Rather counter-intuitively, by the time they are crispy at the end, they come off the baking sheet no problem, but while they are tender mid-cooking, you risk breaking them apart.
Divide into 4 servings of 200 calories each. Next time you make the fries - and I'm sure there will be a next time! - try varying the spices: cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, or paprika would all work really well. I recommend Amy's Bistro burgers to round out the menu!
baking potatoes $2.11
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html