This pasta dish for two is simple as can be, letting the fresh basil and tomatoes really shine!
Cook 4 ounces of uncooked penne pasta according to package directions, then drain and set aside. I like the whole wheat penne from De Boles, which has higher protein thanks to the addition of Jerusalem artichoke flour.
While the pasta cooks, heat 1 and 1/2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper and 2 small minced garlic cloves; saute for 30 seconds. Add 1 and 1/2 cups chopped plum tomato, 1/4 cup chopped and pitted kalamata olives, 2 and 1/4 teaspoons capers, and 1/8 tsp. salt; reduce the heat and simmer for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the cooked penne to the skillet and cook a final minute, stirring to combine. Sprinkle with 6 tablespoons shredded vegan cheese in place of Parmesan (such as the vegan mozzarella from Galaxy Foods), and 1 and 1/2 tablespoons chopped basil.
Divide evenly among two plates (about 1 and 3/4 cups per serving). Each serving is 490 calories.
plum tomato $1.71
kalamata olives $4.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html