Blueberries give a fun summer twist to regular banana bread!
Lightly spoon 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour into measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine the flours in a large bowl with 3/4 cup uncooked grits, 1/2 cup raw sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, and 1/4 tsp. baking soda.
In a separate bowl, combine 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil with 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 bananas), 3/4 cup blueberries, and the equivalent of 2 eggs using egg replacer (such as Ener-G).
Make a well in the flour mixture, and add the banana mixture, stirring just until moist (although on a side note, this batter was not as liquid as some other quick-bread recipes I've made, so don't be alarmed if you find the same is true of yours).
Spoon the batter into an 8x4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray, then bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour - a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, them remove from the pan and cool completely.
Cut into 16 slices of 150 calories each.
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html