You'll get tons of fresh summer veggies in this easy slaw!
The dressing in the original recipe was buttermilk-based, so to make it vegan, pour 3/4 tsp. lemon juice into a measuring cup; fill with plain soy milk (such as Silk) to equal 1/4 cup, then let stand for 5 minutes to clabber (sour) the mixture.
Combine the 'buttermilk' with 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (I like the light canola mayo from Spectrum Foods), 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 teaspoons raw sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper; set aside.
Steam 1 cup of (1-inch) diagonally-cut wax beans until tender - about 4 minutes. Trim the ends off of 1/2 cup snow peas, then cut into thin strips lengthwise. Combine the wax beans and the snow pea strips with 3 cups sliced Savoy cabbage, 1/2 cup red bell pepper strips, 1/3 cup shredded carrot (a large-holed grater works well for shredding), 1/4 cup vertically sliced red onion, and 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon.
Pour the dressing over the vegetables, tossing to coat. Chill for 30 minutes before serving. You'll have 6 servings of about 3/4 cup and 70 calories each.
lemon juice $2.99
Savoy cabbage $2.14
red bell pepper $1.86
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html