This easy salsa is great either as a dip with tortilla chips or as a filling in a tortilla wrap sandwich.
Get ready for a long list of ingredients! In a large bowl, combine 3 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper, 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion, 2 tablespoons chopped cucumber, 2 tablespoons diced plum tomato, 1 tablespoon chopped celery, 1 tablespoon chopped and seeded jalapeno pepper, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons chopped basil (or 3/4 tsp. dried basil, if you prefer), 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lime juice, 1/4 tsp. dried thyme (or 3/4 tsp. chopped fresh thyme, if you prefer), 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. ground cumin, 1/4 tsp. chili powder, 1/8 tsp. black pepper, and 2 small minced garlic cloves.
Rinse and drain a 15-ounce can of black beans. Add to the rest of the ingredients, and stir well to combine, then cover and chill for at least 2 hours before serving, so the flavors can blend.
You'll have 2 cups of salsa, although you can also double all the above quantities easily for more! 1/4 cup of salsa makes a serving of 100 calories.
red bell pepper $1.36
plum tomato $0.32
canned black beans $1.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html