This classic coleslaw dish relies on two ingredients for the dressing that are decidedly not vegan - buttermilk and mayonnaise. Luckily, it's easy to procure vegan versions of both! Serve this alongside any veggie burger of your choice for a quick dinner.
Combine one cup plain soy milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and let stand 5 minutes to clabber (sour) it.
In a bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup of the 'buttermilk' (reserve the rest for another use if you like), with 3 tablespoons of vegan mayonnaise, 1/4 tsp. celery salt and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. My favorite vegan mayo is the Light Canola mayo from Spectrum Organics: www.spectrumorganics.com Vegenaise is another canola oil-based alternative. I'm not as big a fan of Nayonaise, which is soymilk-based.
In a large bowl, combine 6 cups thinly sliced green cabbage and 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture, tossing to coat.
1 cup is 60 calories. I can't slice my cabbage quite as thinly as the pre-packaged slaw, but I think I did a pretty good job.
celery salt $2.39
green cabbage $2.81
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html