This polenta dish makes a delicious alternative to oatmeal for breakfast - it's quick, easy and warm on a cold winter morning! One serving should definitely tide you over until lunch.
Melt 1 tablespoon vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons agave nectar (in place of honey), 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 12-ounces of frozen mixed berries. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside, but keep warm.
In a saucepan, bring 3 cups plain soy milk to a boil - don't use the highest heat and stir frequently so the soy milk doesn't burn to the bottom of the pan!
Add 1/2 cup dry polenta, stirring constantly with a whisk, along with 2 tablespoons raw sugar and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cook for five minutes, still stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Careful, because it will splatter.
Spoon 2/3 cup of polenta into each of 4 bowls, and top each with 1/3 a cup of the compote. If you prefer less compote and have leftover, serve it tomorrow morning over vegan pancakes or waffles!
frozen mixed berries $3.69
plain soy milk $2.49
dry polenta $5.69
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html