This dessert practically begs to be eaten on a cold January night. Serve it warm, straight out of the oven.
In a food processor, combine 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons raw sugar, 2 tablespoons organic brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons chilled vegan butter, cut into small pieces (such as Earth Balance). Pulse about 10 to 15 times, or until the mixture is like coarse meal. Set aside.
Peel and thinly slice 3 cups worth of Braeburn apple (about 3 apples - if you can't find Braeburn, Fuji or Gala apples would make a nice substitute. You could even use Granny Smith if you prefer a tarter taste). Combine the apples with 1/2 a cup fresh cranberries in a large bowl.
Whisk together 3 tablespoons orange juice, 1 tablespoon raw sugar, and a teaspoon and a half of cornstarch. Pour over the apple mixture and toss well to coat, then spoon into a one-quart baking dish.
Sprinkle the apple mixture with the flour mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes and then serve it warm! Bonus points if you eat it in front of the fireplace.
brown sugar $3.99
Braeburn apple $3.24
orange juice $1.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html