I had some hazelnuts on hand, and this candy seemed a delicious way to use them up!
First, roast the hazelnuts. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet at 275 degrees for about 20 to 30 minutes. It takes a bit longer than if you roast them at a higher temperature, but then you would risk burning them. Place on paper towels and rub off the skins, then chop to equal 1/3 a cup. Set aside.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray the foil with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a saucepan, combine 1/2 a cup raw sugar, 3 tablespoons water and 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar, stirring until the sugar dissolves. (Don't forget, cream of tartar has nothing to do with dairy cream! It is just the common name for potassium hydrogen tartrate). Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and stir in the hazelnuts and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Pour onto the prepared baking sheet and cool completely before breaking into pieces. Roughly a tablespoon-worth is 60 calories (you'll have about 11 pieces of that size).
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html