You're probably wondering why I'm making a cold soup in the middle of January. Normally I eat as seasonally as I can, but I guess I'm nostalgic for a few of the flavors of warmer weather. Tonight, I'm bringing a little summer into the kitchen.
In a large bowl, combine 1 and 1/2 cups orange juice, 1 and 1/4 cups chopped and peeled mango (about 1 large mango), 1 cup finely diced cantaloupe (I always find it easier to buy melon pre-cubed in the produce section), 1/2 cup diced peeled jicama, 1/2 cup tomato juice, 6 tablespoons diced yellow bell pepper, 3 tablespoons sliced green onions, 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. black pepper - what a list!
Stir together, then cover and chill until ready to serve. A one cup serving is 100 calories.
Note: stay away from V8 for the tomato juice - too much salt and not enough actual tomato! There is an organic purely tomato juice that I love from R.W. Knudsen, but the store was out, so I bought their low-sodium Very Veggie variety instead, which is still mostly tomato juice: www.knudsenjuices.com/
tomato juice $3.29
yellow bell pepper $3.01
green onions $0.98
black pepper $4.49
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html