It has been below ten degrees in New York for three days running. I am sick of shivering, so I am making some mulled cider to warm myself up!
In a saucepan, combine all the ingredients: 2 cups cranberry juice cocktail (I like the Cranberry Nectar from Santa Cruz Organics: www.scojuice.com), 2 cups apple cider, a tablespoon and a half organic brown sugar, 2 (3 and 1/2-inch long) strips of orange rind, 4 whole cloves, 2 whole allspice, one whole cinnamon stick (broken in half) and one whole nutmeg.
Whole allspice and whole nutmeg can be hard to find - in a pinch, substitute abt. 1/2 tsp. ground allspice and 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg.
Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain through a sieve over a bowl, and discard the solids. Ladle one cup of cider into each of 4 mugs - and serve nice and warm! Each cup is 160 calories
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html