Here's another breakfast idea to get your day off on the right foot - and it's really simple. Just make it the night before.
Bring 4 cups of cran-grape juice to a boil in a saucepan; reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour, until thick and reduced to 3/4 cup.
When buying cran-grape juice, favor organic varieties over other brands which are mainly water and - eew - corn syrup. That's not juice at all! The Cranberry Nectar from Santa Cruz (www.scojuice.com) features both real cranberry juice and real white grape juice - both of which have numerous health benefits.
Once the juice is reduced, remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons agave nectar (in place of honey). Cover and chill at least 8 hours (it will continue to thicken as it cools).
Serve over vegan pancakes, waffles, or even vegan ice cream for dessert! I like the Homestyle waffles from Nature's Path: www.naturespath.com If you are buying your waffles in the grocery store, parse the ingredient list carefully - even some organic brands include eggs or milk products.
One tablespoon is 60 calories - the syrup will keep for a week in the fridge.
This picture shows the color of the syrup a bit better.
cran-grape juice $3.99
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html