I love hummus, and I especially love it homemade instead of store-bought in a plastic tub. This version is really easy and gets a nice pinkish tint from the sun-dried tomatoes.
In a food processor, combine 1/4 cup water, 2 tablespoons of chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, 2 peeled garlic cloves and one (15-ounce) can of chickpeas, drained. Process until smooth, and transfer to a serving bowl.
Just before serving, cut 2 (6-inch) pitas into 10 wedges each. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, then coat the tops of the pita with another spritz of cooking spray. Bake in the oven at 425 degrees for 6 minutes, until nice and golden.
1/4 cup hummus plus 4 pita wedges makes a yummy pre-dinner nosh of 190 calories.
oil-packed sun-dried tomato $5.79
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html