Here's another fun recipe with tofu taking the place of ricotta cheese.
Cut 3 small zucchini (about 3/4 lb total) in half, and scoop the pulp carefully from each half with a spoon. You can discard the pulp or save it for some other creative use! Place the zucchini halves in an 8x8 glass baking dish coated with cooking spray and set aside.
In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup crumbled tofu, 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, chopped, 1/4 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley, chopped, 2 tablespoons shredded "mozzarella block" vegan cheese (from Galaxy Foods), one tablespoon hot water, a teaspoon and a half of lemon juice, a dash of salt and a dash of pepper. Mix well.
(note: the original recipe called for parmesan, but the mozzarella block from Galaxy Foods works just as well).
Spoon about a heaping tablespoon-ful into each zucchini shell, and press down gently. Bake the zucchini at 450 degrees for twenty minutes.
The yield for this recipe is 6 servings (one stuffed shell, 60 calories).
vegan cheese $3.39
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html