I promise this is the last time I'm making a haroset recipe, as I've reached the end of my April cooking magazine (wow, the month went by fast...). This one is ground in a food processor very fine, so works best as a condiment. I'm using it as a spread, nearly like apple-preserves, on crackers. Prepare it in the afternoon ahead of time so the flavors can blend.
In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup pitted dates, two quarters of a peeled granny smith apple, two quarters of a peeled golden delicious apple and one cup of water. (If that's hard to visualize, see the picture below). Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 24 minutes.
Cool for 15 minutes.
Pour the mixture into a blender or food processor, along with two tablespoons of sweet red wine, and pulse 5 times until chunky. Add 1/4 cup of chopped almonds and pulse two times.
The yield is two cups. 1/4 cup has about 80 calories.
medjool dates $4.63
granny smith apple $1.29
golden delicious apple $0.92
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html