A quick and easy weeknight supper that combines protein, grains, heart-healthy fats from the avocado, and lots of great taste.
Place half a cup of long-grain brown rice and one cup water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and cook until the liquid is absorbed (about twenty minutes). Add 3/4 cup of canned black beans (drained and rinsed) and cook another five minutes.
In a bowl, combine 1 cup sliced cherry or grape tomatoes, 1/3 cup diced avocado, 3 tablespoons green onion, 3 tablespoons shredded "cheddar" cheese (see my post for 'Orecchiette and Arugula with Creamy 'Ricotta' Sauce' for a more detailed account on vegan cheese), a dash of salt, a dash of pepper, and a teaspoon and a half of chopped ripe (black) olives.
Add the rice mixture and stir gently to combine. The yield for this recipe is three, one-cup servings of 220 calories each.
green onions $0.99
"cheddar" cheese $3.39
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html