A great source of protein, of course, thanks to the beans (12 grams per serving).
Heat a teaspoon and a half of olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup diced celery, 1/4 cup diced onion, 2 tablespoons diced green bell pepper and a tablespoon and a half of diced carrot. Saute the veggies for 9 minutes. Add a teaspoon and a half of minced garlic, along with 3/4 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp chili powder and a dash of black pepper. Saute an additional two minutes.
Add one cup vegetable broth, half a cup water and just over 2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed (about a can and a half). Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for fifteen minutes.
Let cool slightly for about five minutes.
Place the mixture in a blender and blend until smooth. Ladle one cup into each of three bowls (230 calories each). You could garnish this soup with sliced green onions or dollops of vegan sour cream. Just like the "cream cheese" in last night's recipe, I love the "sour cream" from Tofutti
green bell pepper $0.86
vegetable broth $2.49
black beans $3.38
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html