A super fast and easy side dish, which I needed, getting home from work late! Plus it highlights one of my favorite in-season spring foods - fresh asparagus.
Snap the tough ends off a pound and a half of asparagus, and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush with a teaspoon and a half of sesame oil and bake at 450 degrees until crisp (ten minutes).
Remove from oven and toss with one tablespoon balsamic vinegar, one and a half teaspoons of sesame seeds and a 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper.
Place on a platter; sprinkle with a dash of salt, a dash of pepper and a tablespoon of grated vegan "parmesan" (Again, I used the mozzarella block from Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/).
Like I said, quick and easy! I'll do something more complicated tomorrow...
The yield is 6 side servings (about 5 spears) for 50 calories. Or load up on more like I did if you love asparagus!
sesame seeds $2.19
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html