It's quick, it's easy, and it's delicious as a breakfast or a dessert (I chose the latter).
In a blender, mix 1 cup of vanilla soy yogurt, 3/4 cup canned pumpkin (chilled), 1/2 cup ice cubes, 1/3 cup orange juice, one tablespoon brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, a dash of nutmeg, a dash of ground cloves, and one ripe banana (pre-sliced and pre-frozen). Puree until smooth.
Pour into glasses - two, one-cup servings of 280 calories.
It's times like these that I'm thankful to be a vegan in New York City. I didn't realize until just before making this recipe that I needed a full cup of soy yogurt, and only had one yogurt (about 2/3 a cup) in my fridge. I rushed to the nearest corner deli, and even though they didn't have any soy yogurt, they did have vanilla flavored soy milk, so I topped my smoothie off with that, making it a bit more watery than the original, but preserving the right flavor. I'm not sure I can think of another city where such a feat can be performed after midnight on a Tuesday night!
soy yogurt $2.69
canned pumpkin $0.99
orange juice $1.39
ground cloves $4.19
soy milk (last minute...) $4.00 (ouch, okay, yes they're open after midnight and they carry soy, but they have a steep price tag...)
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html