Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Walnut-Stuffed Slow-Cooked Apples
In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, 3 tablespoons dried currants, 2 and 1/2 tablespoons organic brown sugar, and 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon; stir to combine.
Core 4 granny smith apples and peel them about one-third of the way down, then stuff evenly with the walnut mixture. Place the apples in a slow cooker, and set aside.
Note: I don't have an apple corer, so had to get a little creative here - my solution was to slice the apples in half, cut out the cores, then arrange the walnut mixture between the halves of each apple. Luckily this seemed to work! I did forget to peel the top third of the apples, but it hardly seems to have mattered.
In a separate bowl, combine 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1 cup organic brown sugar, and 3/4 cup apple cider; stir with a whisk to combine. Pour evenly over the apples, then cover and cook on LOW for 2 hours and 45 minutes.
Remove the apples with a slotted spoon, and place 1 apple on each of 4 dessert plates. Top each with 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Each dessert is 310 calories. This is great with some non-dairy vanilla ice cream on the side!
dried currants $3.39
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html