Friday, October 15, 2010
Stir-Fried Potatoes with Vinegar and Hot Peppers
In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon dry sherry, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vegan sugar (such as Wholesome Sweeteners), 4 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce, and 1/4 tsp. salt; set aside. Note: my favorite sherry to use is the unfiltered Fino en Rama from Alvear, so I can be sure it is vegan!
Peel and julienne-cut 4 cups of potato (the pieces should be about 1 inch long). Place in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes, then drain and pat dry.
Heat 1 tablespoon peanut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions, 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger, 2 minced garlic cloves, and 2 thinly sliced Thai chiles; saute for 30 seconds, then add the potatoes and stir-fry for 4 minutes.
Note: Thai chiles are small, thin, red ones, and they are quite spicy. If you prefer, you can only use one, but I decided to go for the full spicy effect and use two.
Add the soy sauce mixture and stir-fry a final minute, then divide the mixture into 4 side serving of 1 cup and 210 calories each. This dish is best when eaten immediately.
It's another night of groceries from my trip to the store without a receipt!
The Vegan Pantry
- Vegan yogurt - Whole Soy http://www.wholesoyco.com/
- Vegan milk - Silk http://www.silksoymilk.com/
- Vegan Feta - Sunergia http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/
- Vegan Cheese - Galaxy Foods http://www.galaxyfoods.com/
- Vegan Eggs - Ener-G http://www.ener-g.com/
- Vegan Butter - Earth Balance http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html